Here are some tips to keeping yourself safe and preventing burglaries from occurring at your home.
Check out these 8 essential tips (they could save your life):
- If you have the means to do so, consider gating your home or moving to a gated community. These provide additional protection and ward off potential thieves from entering the neighborhood.
- If you do have a gated home, never open it if you feel uncomfortable in the situation. Instead keep it locked and communicate with the other person with the gate locked.
- Invest in a home security system. Many systems today come equipped with cameras, allowing you to monitor who comes and goes. Some systems even come with a remote feature, so you can access the footage from nearly any location.
- Today’s alarm systems feature a panic button. Be sure to know how it works so you can quickly use it in an emergency. It will quickly call the police and emit the alarm siren, warning the intruder that the alarm has been triggered.
- Lighting can greatly deter a burglar. Burglars can easily target unlit areas. Keep the outside of your home well lit even with spotlights, pathway lighting etc.
- Be careful when you get home. Do not enter the house if you suspected anything is amiss. Turn around and call the police and inform them of the situation.
- Never try to fight back if you are mugged. Do as they ask and hand over anything that they may want. This is the best chance of preventing physical injury.